Return to Home

Sunday, July 8, 2012

River Front Beach Fun!


Today we went to the river and had a great time. The kid's loved playing in the water and it was so nice to hang out with just us, we definitely needed some family time! 

I knew this was to be expected but I was struck by the fact that all the women there were wearing bikinis. I did not see one modest swim suit. I understand it's hot, but I don't understand why people choose these types of bathing suits.

Then I got to thinking, is it really that sexy to wear a bikini? Do women wear them because we think we look sexy in them?

Then I got to thinking it's pretty sexy to hide a lot of our body. You know, keep it a secret. I saw way more than I wanted today at the river. I'm starting to understand that I like keeping secrets regarding my body, I like not being known to other men.There is something very attractive about women who keep their secrets. Who keep them guessing. :)

If wearing a bikini and showing so much of our bodies is truly sexy then wouldn't we want that solely for our spouse? Wouldn't we want to say, "My body is only known to my lover, and I am so proud of that!"



We don't have to wear something like this:





But what's so bad about this?



If we are truly striving to live out the Gospel and attain heaven, shouldn't our lives look different?

Shouldn't our lives look radically different?







After we got home from the beach, we enjoyed our favorite chewy almond flour cookies, make sure to check out the new recipe!


"You cannot be half a saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all."
-St. Therese of Lisieux

2 comments:

  1. AMEN! Having worked in the water most of my life as a lifeguard and swim instructor, I have fought for modest swim ware the whole time. For awhile, I wore boys swim trunks over my one piece. But I wanted a more feminine look. Recently, I found a one piece maternity suit with a Granny skirt in ALL BLACK (a serious find, they usually have horrid floral print) and it's been nice. It's not overly granny, but it covers those important areas oh so nicely.

    I still pull out the shorts as needed, though. And my girls wear swim shirts and swim shorts (girly ones) and will never know anything different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually the suit worn by the girl above is lovely...whereas the one you point out is really no different than what party girls wear out to bars. I think it's awesome that you want to seek modesty...awesome that you want to live radically for the Gospel...but I think (as did I) that you don't have a proper perspective of just how immodest our culture is...and that even the suit you note, although modest by the string bikini standards, would have been considered wearing your birthday suit if worn even 50 years ago. Read the book "Dressing with Dignity" by Colleen Hammond. As a fellow devout Catholic (go St. Terese!), that book helped me remove the veil of this modern age. I want to dress modestly not only for my husband and other men's souls, but also in case the King comes back in my lifetime. I want to be modestly dressed for Him...so I now try to ask myself "would the Blessed Mother wear that?" Vatican guidelines also help me...as they will hopefully help you:+) Good for you that you are seeking sanctity! Keep at it and go radical for Christ! God bless

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis