Return to Home

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Another Recipe from Elise's Kitchen . . .

Elise is an amazing cook. Let me say that again, amazing. Everything I've had from her kitchen is so tasty - she definitely has the knack! She emailed me this recipe to share - and I believe she is going to share more recipes with us! Pretty soon we will have a "In the Kitchen" tab with recipes from the different family kitchens. How fun is that?  

This is what Elise wrote to me:

Sometimes I feel for my kids.  Maybe they are like me and just want to have junk food all the time and have it be good for you.  So I saw this recipe and had to make it.  It turned out beyond yummy and the kids helped me make it.  I was super surprised at how awesome coconut oil is to fry in.   put about 1'2 inch into my pan and just turned the chicken over after about 5 minutes. No gross smoke smell like from peanut or canola oil.   I added Italian seasoning and Parmesan to the bread crumbs for funI used regular ol bullseye BBQ sauce that has no gluten ish ingredients, but doesn't advertise GF for dipping.  With a side of corn and lemon pie with marshmallow topping ( recipe to follow) it was  a great dinner.   ~ Elise

 

Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets

An excellent source of protein, chicken can be made into finger foods that appeal to kids. These nuggets are not from you-know-where but your child should love them. They freeze and reheat beautifully—so make a lot! Serve with your child’s favorite dipping sauce.

8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 egg* 2 tablespoons water
-Gluten-free bread crumbs (2 slices gluten-free bread)
-Salt and pepper, to taste
-Garlic powder and onion powder, optional, to taste
2-3 tablespoons canola oil or coconut oil, for frying

1. Slice chicken into strips. Then cut them into bite-size chunks.
2. Beat egg lightly with water and pour into a shallow dish or pie plate.
3. In another shallow dish, season bread crumb mix with spices.
4. Dip chicken pieces first into the egg mixture. Then roll each piece in the breading to coat well.
5. Fry chicken in very hot oil, about ½-inch deep, until golden brown on all sides. Drain well on paper towel-lined plates. Serve warm.


*For Egg-Free Nuggets, mix 4 tablespoons flax meal with 5 to 6 tablespoons hot water. Add more hot water 1 teaspoon at a time if too thick. (Keep it thick and sticky.) Dip chicken in mixture and then roll in bread crumbs.

This recipe was found on the Living Without website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis