Return to Home

Sunday, July 15, 2012

One Habit we Hope she Doesn't Break!

Tomorrow afternoon (our time) Mary will be entering the novitiate and receiving her habit with the Servant Sisters of the Home of the Mother in Valencia, Spain. This begins a 2 year journey of prayer, study, and service with the sisters, until she comes up for her first vows. With this habit we can now call her Sister Mary! This is a monumental moment in her life as well as in the lives of her family and friends. I wonder what it would be like or feel like to take on a religious habit? Physically taking the robe of Christ for all to see and living a sacrificial life of study and service. Seeking His Love in such a selfless way. I can't help but feel so overwhelmingly happy for her, so proud she is my sister and so inspired to see so young a person give herself to God through this bold path.

During Mary's last months here in Jacksonville I got to spend as much time with her as her busy schedule allowed. And it is something I will cherish forever. This was the first time that we got to spend together as adults. Being one of the oldest of a large family, I moved away from home with a lot of younger siblings still very young and I never thought I would would miss seeing them grow up. But I have. And I was so glad I got to reconnect with Mary before she left. We had so many great conversations about life, God, old memories, what a holy family looks like, the spiritual life, the religious life, her future and so much more. I remember she told me that she was relieved when I was discerning the religious life because it meant that SHE was off the hook. She said, "Okay good, Clare will be the nun in the family and I won't have to". Isn't that too funny? God's ways are not our ways, thanks goodness! One conversation we had that really spoke to me was how necessary it is to see our faults and weaknesses for what they really are not as we see them but as God sees them. And how necessary for spiritual growth that we ask God to show us our souls with His eyes, so we many better ourselves according to His ways. How profound and yet simple this idea is, something I need to do in my own life. Mary also recommended a book she had read called 'The Spiritual Battle' not sure who it's by though. It's on my to-read-list. In one of our last conversations she was telling me about all the things she did in preparing for Spain, clean out house, pack, close bank account, cancel facebook and varies other things. She said she felt she was preparing for her death and yet she was!!! She is dying to herself so Christ may live in her. I couldn't stop my eyes from getting misty and I felt a warm flutter in my heart as I thought, 'My baby sister is all grown up and how beautiful she is, Praise be to Christ!'

Thank you, Mary for the example you have given and continue to give. May Our Heavenly Father and Our Holy Mother always give you the strength and courage to die to self so that Christ might shine through you in your new life. We will be praying for you and all the other candidates as you enter the novitiate and receive your habits. We love you so much.



Mary and Adeline meet!
 Addy grabbed Mary's crucifix when she first held her,
 and wouldn't let go.

Addy's baptism, Mary is Addy's godmother.


Mary came to visit us while we were living in Pensacola last year June.



Our final visit them Mary before leaving for Spain.

Adeline loves her godmummy.
We love you so much Mary! Can't to see you.






6 comments:

  1. so sweet, thank you for sharing! I CANNOT wait till tomorrow. It will be as if we are there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I am humbled and inspired in my own vocation just by reading this. You are so blessed to have a sister seeking such holiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJuly 16, 2012

    The image of Mary sort of closing out her current life to begin her next life brings me to tears. How beautiful! Thanks so much for your post, Clare! Please God my computer will cooperate later this morning so I can watch the entrance into her new life...God bless Mary and all her big beautiful family! Marcelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJuly 16, 2012

    This morning in the Liturgy of the Hours the Responsory is 'The Lord has chosen her, his loved one from the beginning.' It was written about another 'Mary', but seems so appropriate for our Mary Rose on her very special day. Then the reading...I rejoice heartily in the Lord, in my God is the joy of my soul; For he has clothed me with a robe of salvation, and wrapped me in a mantle of justice, like a bride bedecked with her jewels. Doesn't that just seem so perfect for today? Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJuly 16, 2012

    That last comment was from me too. Marcelle I forgot to sign it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Clare. This is absolutely beautiful. We will pray for Sister Mary daily! Love and prayers to all!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis