Return to Home

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

In Honor of Her 82nd Birthday


 Joyce Janice Gallaher
March 15th, 1930 - November 14th, 2010

I can't get over how incredibly beautiful she was.


I found this excerpt on a memorial networks website:


Joyce was born in Wenatchee, WA, to Roy and Della Halterman. She was one of nine children. After high school, she married the love of her life, Robert John Gallaher. They were married for 55 wonderful years and had 11 children. She was a loving and generous lady who opened up her home and family and became a second mom, grandma, and friend to many others. She loved to be surrounded by family and friends.

Joyce was preceded in death by her loving husband; parents; brothers, Russell Halterman, Art Halterman, Robert Halterman, Vern Halterman; sister, Carol Halterman; son, Robert Gallaher; and grandchild, Nicole Heath. Joyce is going to be missed by brothers, William Halterman and his wife, Nancy, Emery Halterman; sister, Dorothy Young and her husband, Bill Young; sons, Patrick Gallaher, Joseph Gallaher and his wife, Roxane, Raymond Gallaher and his wife, Nancy; daughters, Teresa Lewis and her husband, John, Joan Gallaher, Mary Beechie and her husband, Jay, Della Cotton and her husband, Rick, Dorothy Gallaher, Rachel DiMartino and her husband, Mike, and Margaret Heath; 45 grandchildren; 11 great-grandchildren; and many close family and friends.

“A mother’s love is never ending; though she is no longer beside us, she is with us.”  




I am certainly at a loss for words as I try to formulate my thoughts about Grandma. Who was she to us? I can still hear her sweet voice on the telephone when I would call her. She was an incredibly faithful, loving and generous daughter of God. She nurtured and loved so many children and grandchildren and we are eternally indebted to her for passing on the Catholic faith. A faith she came into!

A few weeks before she died we found out we were pregnant with Peter and I called her right away! She was still able to talk and was very excited to hear the news.  I had a feeling it was going to be our last conversation so I savored every minute of it. Im beginning to tear up here just thinking about how wonderful a woman she was! I was going to write a whole beautiful post about her but I think I will just let the pictures do the talking. We miss you Grandma and we pray for you daily.


The last time she came out to Virginia. 




I caught her by the pool with a beer! She was so happy to be there.




She loved children to the very end, even those who were not her own.


She also loved naps. :)


A very beautiful picture of Robert and Grandma at my wedding. She was late to the wedding but I am so glad we waited to start the procession with her in it! 



My three favorites. I love this picture.


The last moments I spent with Grandma was at the Gallaher family reunion in Washington. We shared a room together and had a wonderful time. You all know how she loved family and history, the reunion was her happy place!

My very favorite and last picture of Grandma. I will treasure this forever. Anybody else in tears yet?


Now for some videos. I thought there might be a chance I had some video of her and I dug up this one:



and this one:


It was very sweet of Lowell to ask her to dance, and thank you Ray for filming it! What a blessing. 



If you don't already, please say a prayer for her daily. She will know. Have a blessed day!


Grant Poor Souls eternal rest, O Lord, and let perpetual light
shine upon them. May they rest in peace. Amen, all for the
greater honor and glory of God.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Sarah, That is a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful person! Thank you Sarah.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis